DENTAL HEALTH COMMUNITY
Fluoridation of Public Water Supply Program
Fluoridation of public water supply in the society activities that aim to prevent and reduce tooth decay. It has been accepted as one of the government policy starting in the year 1972. In year 2006, a total of 273 water treatment plants have been added fluoride which benefits up to 73.9% of the total population .This program is developed throughout the population. Ministry of Health and various water authorities have been working together for the success of this fluoridation program.
Source: BKP, KKM
Activities to be implemented in the Sabak Bernam District:
- Calorimeter calibrated twice in a year
- Fluoride level readings are taken twice in a year, in which the responsible parties will be informed if there is a breach in reading fluoride.
- Joining the Air Quality Meeting
- Ensure officers are trained to get the right data
- Make a visit to the water treatment plant once a year
- Sent officers to water fluoridation seminar to get more exposure.
Clinical Preventive Dentistry Program
- This program is a clinical preventive services regularly performed in the dental clinic on the teeth of individuals at risk for dental caries.
- There are two types of treatment provided in this program that are localized fluoride application and fissure sealant.
- Localized fluoride application treatment given particularly to children in the toddler programme, pre-school and primary school children, especially those at risk of moderate to high caries.
- Fissure sealant treatment is a filling at the tooth fissures or grooves on the surface of the permanent molars to prevent decay fissure (pit caries).
Programme & Promotion of Oral Health
- This program was implemented to raise public awareness of Oral Health
- Promotional activities and the promotion of Oral Health conducted by the Officers and Dental Nurses whether in dental clinics (chairside), at school (health talks and training on brushing) or specific location such as campaigns and health fairs.
- Dental health promotion is also being conducted under the Community Service Program and NBOS 7 programme.
- Among the aspects emphasized is that awareness-balanced diet, the importance of brushing and make periodic checks, as well as the importance of taking care of the baby teeth of children.
You can get dental health brochures here.
Screening and Early Detection Programme Pre-Cancer Lesions
Detection and prevention programs early pre-cancerous and cancerous targeted to at risk groups first launched in year 1996.This programme has been reviewed and strengthened in the year 2002. The purpose of this programme is to raise awareness about the factors that causes mouth cancer. The programme is also to educate individuals to detect early signs of oral cancer symptoms and conduct inspections to detect early cancer of the mouth.
Source: BKP, KKM
Activities implemented in the Sabak Bernam District are:
- Held a joint meeting between the state committee, and district coordinator at least once in a year.
- Provide oral cancer screening to the high-risk groups of individuals in communities, villages, farms and native village.
- Trip back to the farm or the community at high risk for periodic inspection once in 5 years
- Promote own oral examination in the community / individuals who are at risk.
- Running the programme 'Berhenti Merokok' ('Tobacco Cessation') in schools that are known for sure.
This is no dental expertise available in the Sabak Bernam District at this moment. If need to get dental specialist treatment, patients will be recommended / referred to hospital / clinic that has a particular expertise in dental treatment if necessary.